Saturday, May 30, 2009
Ahmadinejad (محمود احمدی نژاد, top left) - you all know him, he wants a second term
Rezaei (محسن رضایی, bottom left) - he's a former commander of the Revolutionary Guard, and even more of a hardliner than Ahmadinejad. His role will be to take hardliner votes away from those disappointed in Ahmadinejad.
Mousavi (میر حسین موسوی, top right) - the other main contender, he was endorsed by former president Khatami and has reformist tendencies. He was prime minister in the 1980s.
Karroubi (محدی کروبی, bottom right) - reformist, and also the only cleric running for office. Says he'll support Mousavi in the second ballot if there is a runoff. It's also possible that he might drop out earlier to support Mousavi.
- Official in Iran says US had a part in the mosque bombing yesterday
- If you think the election in Iran does not matter - diary on DailyKos
- The role of minorities in the election
- Disgruntled urban voters could turn out in large numbers to oppose Ahmadinejad - Washington Post
- Mousavi would hold nuclear talks with the P5+1 group
- Mousavi intends to find end to US economic sanctions. By the way, think just how much easier it is to make a statement like this in the present climate compared to when Cheney and Rumsfeld were in power. Now it's possible to say something like this without being challenged too hard on it, but with a different president (let's say McCain with his "bomb bomb Iran" joke and "gates of hell" statement) the suggestion would have been laughable. At the same time the Obama administration is wise to not suggest anything too concrete before the election is over as that would then become the issue, and it's best to simply watch the election to gauge the mood of the country first, after which real negotiations can start.
- Mousavi says talks can work out with the US if Iran's red lines are recognized
A song made for the election by Mousavi supporters (even if you don't know Persian you can hear the Mir-Hossein Mousavi part repeated throughout)
- Islamic Coalition Party would negotiate with Ahmadinejad on cabinet makeup if re-elected
- Interior Minister defends Ahmadinejad's distribution of money, potatoes etc. among the poor at election time
- Ahmadinejad election office in the east hit by gunmen, three wounded
- Ahmadinejad ready for talks with the US