Germany in 1912: Images 91 to 100

Sunday, June 08, 2014

The wooden tower. -- Among its curiosities, Mainz counts this medieval tower in an interesting style.

The cathedral (east side). -- A Romanesque church with three naves with two domes each flanked by two tours. It contains treasures of all beauty.
The Iron Tower, another Mainz curiosity. In a Gothic style, this iron tower, edging on modern, has a pleasing effect.

The Bridge on the Rhine. -- This bridge, of very beautiful work and pretty appearance, crosses the Rhine which is very large at this point, and connects Mainz to the large industrial suburb of Castel.

The banks of the Rhine. -- The remains of the castle of Rolandseck dominate the valley known as "the seven mountains". Its foundation is attributed to Roland. On the island of Nonnenwest one sees an ancient shelter.

Above the village of Caub stands the castle of Gutenfels, which has been restored. In the middle of the fleuve one can see an island topped by the curious castle of Pfalz, once built for tolls on the Rhine.

Mainz, marketplace. -- It is this place, one of the oldest in Mainz, that France's soldiers of the revolution planted the "tree of liberty" which since vanished.
The Nationaldenkmal (Niederwald Denkmal), 225 metres above the Rhine, consists of a base 25 metres in height supporting a Germania statue of 10.5 metres. It perpetuates the memory of the restoration of the German Empire.

The Niederwald, situated on the right bank of the Rhine, is famous for its hills covered with the famous Rudesheim vineyards. One can see above, minuscule here, the gigantic monument of Germania.

Bingen, on the banks of the Nahe, forms the border between Hesse and Prussia. Here is the chapel of St. Roch and the Klopp Castle with its modern tower.


FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by 2008

Back to TOP